Login Register

No AFC Bournemouth approach for Yeovil Town manager Gary Johnson

By Western Gazette - Yeovil  |  Posted: October 11, 2012

Gary Johnson

Yeovil Town boss Gary Johnson

Comments (0)

Yeovil Town have received no approach from AFC Bournemouth for Gary Johnson, believing they would have done so by now if the Dorset outfit were interested in the manager’s services.

The Glovers’ boss was linked to the Goldsands Stadium hot-seat within hours of Paul Groves’ departure last week as the former Grimsby Town man became a victim of Cherries’ torrid start to the season.

Odds on Johnson to cross the county border plummeted from 33-1 to 5-2 with certain bookmakers in just ten minutes and he remains alongside Eddie Howe and Steve Cotterill in the list of favourites.

However, Johnson himself said he only thought about the vacancy when questioned about it, whilst Bournemouth chairman Eddie Mitchell suggested he will consider candidates currently out of work.

Johnson said: “As soon as they appoint someone people will stop asking questions but it is not a terrible thing. I do not bat away questions, I ask them.

“I told the media at the weekend that I would see them at Torquay on Tuesday but I haven’t been able to turn up as the Johnstone’s Paint Trophy game was postponed.

“But until my club tells me that they have had an approach – because that is the only way it can be done properly – nothing would happen and if anything was going to happen I am sure it would have happened by now. I only think about it when it comes up in a question, which is important.”

Mitchell told club website www.afcb.co.uk: “There are lots of people out there who are looking at the job and have shown a desire to come and work at Bournemouth, but it has to suit our budget and it has to suit our expectations of where we want to go.

“We have got to do our best to find the right person whilst we have got this break in jobs. We want to settle it as soon as possible but we don’t want to pick the wrong person.

“I’ve got several meetings planned this week, up until Thursday night, and hopefully by then we might be 70 or 80 per cent there, or maybe even 100 per cent.”

Yeovil chief executive Martyn Starnes confirmed the club had not spoken to Cherries. “I can state categorically that we have not been contacted by AFC Bournemouth in any capacity,” he said.

“We do believe that it is just media or bookmaker speculation and we believe that Gary is enjoying his time here and is very focused on and driven to achieving the results we are looking for.”

Do you have something to say? Leave your comment here...

max 4000 characters

YOUR COMMENTS AWAITING MODERATION

 
 

MORE NEWS HEADLINES

 
 
 

MOST POPULAR