Login Register

Bournemouth RFC: Twelve-man Lions fall to Lydney

By DavidBol  |  Posted: December 10, 2012

Bournemouth Lions 18-24 Lydney RFC

Comments (0)

The Bournemouth Lions fell to a second straight home defeat as Lydney powered past the Dorset side at Chapel Gate.

A disjointed performance from The Lions was made harder when referee Phil Watters reduced The Lions to twelve men midway through the second half - with the Gloucestershire side also seeing a man sent to the sin-bin.

Lydney were the better side, but a late try from the impressive Alan Manning secured a losing bonus point for Bournemouth.

Speaking after the game, Lions Director of Rugby David Dunn said: "I thought at half time, we didn't play well enough in the first half but we were certainly in the game.

Related content

"Our captain Alan Manning was absolutely phenomenal, he really is a talisman. The problem is, we don't have enough fire power in with him to share the workload."

Bournemouth and Lydney both got off the mark with penalties from Dan Pollard and Danny Trigg, before the visitors took the lead with a penalty try.

A huge shove from the Lydney scrum took the Lions by surprise and the referee had no option but to award a try.

The Lions found a lifeline when a good passing move down the left wing was finished off by Dan Pollard, moments after he missed a penalty attempt.

The Lions cut the deficit to three points half way through a slow second half, as Dan Cawley powered over the line.

However, with the game in the balance - Tim Collier and Luca Firetto were sent to the sin-bin, along with Lydney's Andy Jarrett.

It got even worse for Bournemouth as Cawley was also given ten minutes on the touchline, stopping the Dorset side creating any momentum.

The referee found it difficult to keep control of players coming on and off the field, causing confusion on the touchline for both teams.

"I don't know what happened with the refereeing decisions." added Dunn.

"To have three players sitting on the sidelines was absolutely ridiculous."

With the game slipping away from Bournemouth, Matt Taylor drove over for the Gloucestershire side to put the result beyond doubt.

The Lions dominated the closing minutes after being restored to fifteen men, and Captain Manning powered home for a consolation try to seal a losing bonus point.

Read more from Blackmore Vale Magazine

Do you have something to say? Leave your comment here...

max 4000 characters