Login Register

Frome 26-15 Wimborne: Slip-up ends Wimborne's winning run

By bvmsport  |  Posted: January 17, 2013

Comments (0)

WIMBORNE slithered and slipped to their first Southern Counties South defeat since September at a chilly, wet and windy Frome on Saturday, against a home side that played much the better rugby for the conditions.

Right from the opening kick-off Frome made clear their game plan with some mighty kicks out of hand to set up attacking positions in the Wimborne 22 and were rewarded after five minutes with a penalty goal for offside. Wimborne eventually got into Frome territory and after 13 minutes took the lead when at a five-metre scrum the visiting pack drove strongly allowing Jason Llewellyn to nip over for a try which Tom Moysey converted.

Directly from the restart a poor clearance kick by Wimborne was punished by Frome with a long touch finding kick to the corner. At the lineout the visitors were again caught offside allowing the home team to narrow the gap to a single point. After 20 minutes another poor kick by Wimborne permitted Frome to mount another attack. This time Wimborne were penalised for an intentional knock-on and once more the penalty set up an attacking lineout and the home team executed a perfect catch and drive to score an unconverted try and take the lead.

Wimborne now enjoyed a spell in the Frome half but the conditions and some solid defence hampered their efforts to play their normal expansive game. They narrowed the gap to a single point with a Moysey penalty then a Frome handling mistake was punished by Jamie Tryska who kicked ahead and led the chase before Tom Brown touched down in the corner to give the visitors a four-point lead at the interval.

Wimborne suffered a double whammy at the start of the second-half when first captain Andy Unwin and then influential fly-half Tom Moysey were forced to leave the field with game-ending injuries. Immediately Wimborne conceded a try when at a five-metre line out Wimborne tapped the ball back to a Frome player who went over unopposed in the corner.

Frome were now completely on top, using short passes in the forwards and the strong boot of their fly-half to set up attacking positions. The next try came on the hour when a long pass put the Frome winger over in the corner. Further misery followed for Wimborne when veteran prop Russell Tinsdale was compelled to leave injured. The reshuffle meant that, with Tom Napier having to move from blind-side to prop and Jimmy Brokenshire moving from the wing to the flank, any hopes of comeback were dashed.

The final score came when the Wimborne pack were pushed off their own ball by the rampant Frome eight who drove over for another unconverted try to gain revenge for their defeat at Leigh Park earlier in the season.

Read more from Blackmore Vale Magazine

Do you have something to say? Leave your comment here...

max 4000 characters