The Gryphon School said today: "Our GCSE and BTEC results are once again excellent against a national backdrop of tougher exams and lower pass rates in many subjects. This year's results have had a much greater emphasis on exams at the end of the two-year course and a reduction in coursework and modular units. There is a stronger element of traditional subjects. In June every secondary school was written to by the Ofqual regulator warning that schools could expect greater volatility in the results because of the changes made to the system. Despite this, and the fact that The Gryphon is a community school serving the full ability range, the standards are significantly above national levels.
- The proportion getting an A* or an A was over 27%, well above the national pass rate of 21.3%.
- Over 25% of our students achieved at least 5 or more A* or A grade passes.
- 78% of exams taken achieved A*-C grades compared to 68.8% nationally.
- 9% of exams taken achieved an A* grade compared to 6.7% nationally.
- The A*-C pass rate in Mathematics increased significantly to 82% compared to 62.4% nationally.
- The results in the traditional subjects of the Sciences - Biology, Chemistry and Physics - English Literature, Geography, History, RE and Mathematics are very strong.
- The proportion of students gaining five or more A* to C grades including English and Maths increased to 65%.
- There were excellent BTEC vocational qualifications achieved.
- Quite exceptional individual results with six students achieving 10 or more A* grades – two students gained 13 A*s in all their subjects".
We have concentrated on having a high quality and balanced curriculum alongside considerable support and excellent facilities that gives students time to learn and personally develop not just to sit exams. This approach very much reaps its rewards when students go on to further study as shown by our outstanding A Level results.
Around 70% of Gryphon students will stay on into the Sixth form to take A Levels here. Others will head off to apprenticeships, training or college courses. Over 100 students from other schools will also join A level courses at The Gryphon this summer.
We will be celebrating our GCSE and A Level results in our Prize Giving ceremony in the historic Sherborne Abbey at 11.00am on Saturday 13 September.”
There are some exceptional outcomes for the following students, all of whom gained at least 9 A* and A grades:
Rae Nicholls from Sherborne - 13 A*grades
Sophia Rogerson from Sherborne - 13 A* grades
Henry Straughan from Melbury Bubb - 12 A* and 1 A grade
Rachel Anderson-Deas from Sherborne - 11 A* and 2 A grades
Freya Hoppe from Sherborne - 11 A* and 1 B grade
Louisa Cary from Yeovil - 10 A*, 2 A and 2 B grades
Samuel Lovatt from Milborne Port - 9 A* and 3 B grades
April Yeatman from Knighton - 8 A* and 5 A grades
Isabelle Doran from Ibberton - 8 A* and 4 A grades
William Edwards from Poyntington - 7 A*, 5 A and 1 B grade
Jack Martin from South Barrow - 7 A*, 4 A and 1 B grade
Gabrielle Dryden from Yeovil - 6 A* and 8 A grades
Sebastian Thrower from Yetminster - 6 A*, 6 A and 1 B grade
Martha Solloway from Thornford - 6 A* and 6 A grades
Joy Ingle from Sherborne - 5 A*, 7 A and 1 B grade
Victoria Davey from Bishops Caundle - 5 A*, 6 A and 1 B grade
Chloe Symms from Adber - 5 A*, 5 A, 2 B and 1 C grade
Daniel Fretwell from Sherborne - 4 A*, 7 A, 1 B and 1 C grade
Anna Sturgeon from Yeovil - 4 A*, 7 A and 1 B grade
Arabella Hodgson from Oborne - 3 A*, 7 A and 2 B grade
Aimee Sturgeon from Yeovil - 3 A*, 7 A and 2 B grades
Clara Tate from Sherborne - 3 A*, 7 A, 1 B and 1 C grade
Luke Donaldson from Henstridge - 3 A*, 6 A and 3 B grades
Hollie Stokes from Milborne Port - 3 A*, 6 A and 3 B grades
Daisy Harris from Stourton Caundle - 3 A*, 6 A, 2 B and 1 C grade
Chloe Gauvin from Rimpton - 2 A*, 10 A and 1 B grade
Callum Boa from Yetminster - 2 A*, 8 A and 2 B grades
William Clarke from Glanvilles Wootton - 2 A*, 8 A and 2 B grades
Wade Elgee from Sherborne - 2 A*, 7 A, 3 B and 2 C grades
William Beeson from Glanvilles Wootton - 2 A*, 7 A and 3 B grades
Chloe Burton from Yeovil - 2 A*, 7 A and 2 B grades
Alice Driver from Poyntington - 9 A, 2 B and 1 C grade
Madeleine Wright from Holwell - 9 A, 2 B and 1 C grade