Login Register

Leicester City 1-1 Yeovil Town: SkyBet Championship Match Report

By Western Daily Press  |  Posted: March 26, 2014

Yeovil Town celebrate the goal from Joe Ralls against Championship leaders Leicester at the King Power Stadium. Photo by Malcolm Couzens/Pinnacle

Comments (0)

Leicester City keeper Kasper Schmeichel broke travelling Yeovil Town hearts with a remarkable injury time equaliser to ensure the Glovers relinquished another winning position.

The Glovers were just seconds from ending the Foxes’ 17-game Sky Bet Championship unbeaten run when the Dane headed the ball against the underside of the bar from a corner with Chris Wood making sure it crossed the line.

Cardiff City loanee Joe Ralls had given Yeovil a 22nd minute lead with a free kick, but were unable to hold on, making it 29 points lost from when ahead this season.

It left Yeovil third from bottom, three points behind Charlton who have three games in hand.They won 1-0 at Nottingham Forest.

Related content

Yeovil boss Gary Johnson kept faith in the starting XI that drew with Bolton last Saturday, fit-again Liam Davis replacing Joel Grant on the bench as the winger continued to struggle with a chest injury.

Jamie Vardy handed Yeovil a huge let off in the third minute when he collected David Nugent’s flick five yards offside and with a flag nowhere to be seen. He failed to confidently tuck home, Marek Stech easily saving.

On 13 minutes and with the Foxes beginning to take control, Nigel Pearson’s team countered through Riyad Mahrez. But with five players for support, the Algerian shot straight at the Glovers’ keeper.

Two minutes later the second of two Leicester corners fell for Nugent. His shot rifled into defender Marcin Wasilewski, who could not react quick enough and Stech extinguished danger.

The visitors then broke the deadlock in fine fashion on 22 minutes. Tom Lawrence’s trickery earned a free kick 20 yards out and when Joe Edwards rolled the ball to Ralls his exquisitely curled it around the wall and beyond Kasper Schmeichel.

On 24 minutes Wes Morgan towered above the Yeovil defence at a corner, heading down with the bounce looping the ball on to the roof of the net.

Jeff Schlupp’s pace ensured he left Luke Ayling in his wake on 26 minutes only for Mahrez to wastefully blaze over in space.

Seven minutes before the break Vardy ran into Byron Webster off the ball in a bid to earn a cheeky penalty, only leaving the centre half with a sore knee. A lively start to the second half should have seen Yeovil double their advantage through the improving Ishmael Miller on 47 minutes.

The Nottingham Forest loanee profited from Kevin Dawson’s cross to turn and shrug off Morgan but by wanting to get the ball on his left foot he allowed goalkeeper Schmeichel to charge down the shot.

Moments after Miller had been bustled off the ball on a counterattack, the forward created a shooting angle from 18 yards, flashing a drive across the face of goal.

Shane Duffy’s poor control on the hour created a Foxes attack, the ball eventually finding Schlupp on the right, who then rifled just wide.

Ten minutes from the end Stech was called into action to keep out Matty James’ long range attempt, superbly diving to his left to tip away.

Substitute Kevin Phillips spurned a massive opportunity to level on 86 minutes, scuffing in the six-yard box before ground opened for Danny Drinkwater, only for Stech to gather at the second attempt.

With the game two minutes into added time at the end of the game, Schmeichel – still up from a corner – headed against the crossbar with the ball dropping the wrong side of the line for the visitors and striker Wood making sure.

Read more from Blackmore Vale Magazine

Do you have something to say? Leave your comment here...

max 4000 characters