Login Register

Sherborne RFC 44-8 Wimborne RFC: Southern Counties South Match Report

By DavidBol  |  Posted: April 13, 2014

Comments (0)

Sherborne RFC ended the season with an emphatic win against Wimborne to end their Southern Counties South campaign with seven straight victories.

The hosts ran in seven tries at Gainsborough Park, while a disjointed Wimborne side were lucky to end the game with 15 men after Doug Robertson escaped with a yellow card following a dangerous no arms tackle on Sherborne’s Hamish Dalziel.

The visitors made a bright start and a long-range penalty kick from James Mikolajewski opened the scoring. However, Sherborne asserted their authority when a fantastic offload from Jack Miles sent Dalziel past the Wimborne defence. The hosts patiently recycled possession, allowing Toby O’Loughlin to go over for the opening try.

Wimborne struggled to build any mtomentum, conceding a string of penalties at the breakdown and their second row couldn’t compete with Sherborne at the scrum. Sherborne took advantage of their dominant pack as they doubled their tally with a drive-over from a scrum – with captain James Newby getting the ball down.

Related content

Wimborne’s best opportunity to score a try in the first 40 minutes came from a fantastic offload from Ryan Maidment, sending Ollie Hamer on his way. However, the centre lost his footing and gave away possession.

Sherborne were back on the front foot after half time and some lapse defending from the visitors allowed James Flynn to dive over the line in spectacular fashion to give the home side a comfortable lead. Immediately from the restart, a quick counter-attack from Wimborne gave them a good overlap down the right flank. However, a poor pass let Sherborne off the hook.

Another good passing move from Wimborne was ended by a knock-on before the Minstermen scored a deserved try when a lovely passing move allowed Maidment to dart over the line for what was to be his side’s only try.

Wimborne couldn’t build on the score and more indiscipline allowed Mottram to slot home two simple penalty kicks to extend his side’s lead. Wimborne’s frustration was illustrated when flanker Robertson took out Dalziel, running at full pace with a dangerous high challenge – with no attempt to make a tackle. After a lengthy lecture, referee Bretton King decided to let Robertson off with a yellow card.

Sherborne immediately looked to make their numerical advantage count and it took a brilliant tackle from Wimborne captain Declan Foley to hold up Mottram. Sherborne’s extra man was pivotal in the following scrum as the hosts took one against the head – setting up O’Loughlin for a simple try to all but end the contest.

Sherborne turned on the flair in the closing stages with Mottram and Jonny Hole combining with some stylish passing, freeing up Flynn to go over for his second try. As Wimborne began to lose heart, some lapse defending let Jack Padfield round off the scoring with his side’s seventh score, securing a confident win.

Read more from Blackmore Vale Magazine

Do you have something to say? Leave your comment here...

max 4000 characters