Login Register

Wimborne Rugby Club prevail in cup-tie thriller

By bvmsport  |  Posted: January 09, 2013

Comments (0)

Wimborne 35pts, Buckingham 26

WIMBORNE reached the final of the Southern Counties Intermediate Cup with a hard-earned victory over Buckingham at Leigh Park on Saturday.

In front of the largest crowd seen at Leigh for many years, Wimborne made a sensational start when, inside the first minute, Gavin Maltman charged down a Buckingham kick and gathered the ball before sprinting 50 metres to score. Tom Moysey added the extras.

The next score came after 17 minutes when Maltman finished off a Wimborne counter attack and scored his second try wide on the right following a good break by centre Will Tarbard.

Buckingham got on the scoreboard after 28 minutes with a simple penalty for offside. The visitors' pack pressured Wimborne into a mistake at the base of a scrum and went the distance to score their first try. Two minutes later Wimborne were penalised and were caught napping as the kick was quickly taken and led to a converted try under the posts as Buckingham led for the first time. Deep into time added Buckingham infringed and Moysey levelled the scores with a penalty.

Early in the second-half Wimborne regained the lead when, after a Moysey break, the ball was re-cycled and after a flowing three-quarter move Tom Napier finished off with some alacrity. Moysey converted, and then extended the lead 10 minutes later with a penalty.

Buckingham were looking dangerous with ball in hand and a strong run out of defence led to a penalty goal. The home team were under the cosh and only a fine tackle from Tryska prevented a Buckingham try. The home penalty count was rising dramatically and eventually Matt Warwick was yellow-carded.

Buckingham won a lineout and drove over for an unconverted try and took the lead with a penalty after 40 minutes but with much time to be added for stoppages the match was heading towards a thrilling climax.

Wimborne camped on the Buckingham line, determined defence slowed down play until the ball was moved wide and the referee spotted a Buckingham player offside. Moysey lined up the kick and the young fly-half kept his nerve to score.

There was to be another twist in the tail of this wonderful contest as Buckingham again tried to run the ball from deep. An errant pass, however, was spilled and Sam St Barbe pounced and ran in for a try which Moysey converted to add an extra gloss to the scoreline in a match which was a credit to both sides in the finest spirit of the game.

Wimborne will now meet Wallingford in the final on a date to be confirmed.

Read more from Blackmore Vale Magazine

Do you have something to say? Leave your comment here...

max 4000 characters