Login Register

Wimborne Town 2-1 Fleet Town: Match Report

By DavidBol  |  Posted: December 07, 2013


Mark Gamble opened the scoring for Wimborne Town with a brilliant solo goal.

Comments (0)

GOALS from Mark Gamble and Aidan Sainsbury were enough for Wimborne Town to secure a much-needed victory against Southern League South and West strugglers Fleet Town.

The visitors had the better of the first half, before the Magpies responded in style after the break – claiming a two-goal lead by the 60 minute mark.

Patrick Cox was able to scramble the ball home for Fleet in the closing stages, but the Magpies held on for the three points.

“Today, above everything the important thing was to get a result after the week we’ve just had” explained Wimborne manager Steve Cuss.

Related content

“We’ve played a lot better than that this season, but vitally we got those three points and I’m very pleased.”

Both teams struggled to settle in the opening stages, with Aaron Blaxall forcing the first save of the game from Magpies goalkeeper Jason Harvell, with an attempt at the near post.

Wimborne’s first real chance came on 18 minutes when George Webb connected well with Gamble – allowing the impressive Sam Griffin to test visiting goalkeeper Ryan Price with a well-placed shot.

The Magpies were given a let-off on 31 minutes when captain Scott Arnold was penalised for hauling down Fleet striker Simba Mlambo. The referee let Arnold off with a yellow card, with Harvell saving well from Craig Davis’ resulting free kick.

Wimborne needed something special to break the deadlock – and were ahead on 49 minutes thanks to top scorer Gamble.

The Magpies cleared a Fleet corner with ease, with the ball dropping to Gamble at the half way line. The striker used his pace and strength to run half the length of the pitch, and confidently slide the ball home to open the scoring.

Wimborne grew in confidence with Gamble narrowly missing the target from a header.

On 57 minutes, a poor corner from Sainsbury found its way back to the Magpies midfielder – who unleashed a rocket from the edge of the area past Price and into the top corner.

The hosts dominated the remainder of the contest, but couldn’t add to their tally.

Fleet continued to thump long balls into the Wimborne penalty area and were able to cut the deficit on 82 minutes when Cox bundled the ball home from close range.

The hosts held on for an important three points, but not the most convincing of displays by the Magpies against their struggling opponents.

Do you have something to say? Leave your comment here...

max 4000 characters