Login Register

Wimborne Town 3-3 Yate Town: Southern League Match Report

By DavidBol  |  Posted: March 26, 2014

Matt Kemble scored a penalty in injury time to rescue a point for Wimborne Town against Yate Town. Photo by Simon Carlton.

Comments (0)

Matt Kemble’s late penalty rescued a deserved point for Wimborne Town against a fiery Yate Town – as the visitors were reduced to ten men after the final whistle after angrily confronting the referee.

The Magpies had trailed three times before captain Scott Arnold was barged over in the box deep into stoppage time, allowing Kemble to slot home a third equaliser for the home side.

Jamie Grose, making his first start for Wimborne was composed throughout against the physical visitors – while Max Brimson put in a confident performance after being introduced during the first half, replacing Adam Costello who picked up a suspected broken nose.

Yate almost took the lead on 25 minutes when a poor back pass header by Ian Oliver sent Yate striker Lewis Haldane through on goal. Wimborne goalkeeper Jason Harvell was able to block the effort with his legs to keep the scores level.

Related content

Five minutes later, Haldane went down extremely easily under a challenge from Billy Maybury on the edge of the box. Wimborne’s poor defensive wall allowed Haldane to blast a low free kick past Harvell to open the scoring.

Wimborne hadn’t been overwhelmed by the visitors during the first half and levelled just before the interval when good pressure from Kemble gave the ball to George Webb in a dangerous position. His cross was not dealt with by the Yate defence, and Sam Griffin curled a shot past Yate stopper Martin Horsell.

Substitute Ross Stacey was introduced at half time for the away side and made an instant impact, giving Yate the lead on 49 minutes. Oliver was at full stretch to get onto a ball on the edge of his own box, but gave possession straight to Stacey, who prodded the ball into the bottom corner of the net with ease.

Oliver redeemed himself on 58 minutes when Haldane broke into the box. His shot eluded Harvell but Oliver headed off the line to stop Wimborne going further behind.

Three minutes later, the Magpies levelled again with a brilliant strike. A fantastic cross-field ball from Griffin found Webb at the back post, and his first time drilled effort fizzed into the bottom corner.

Both side pushed for a winner and Webb had to head a deflected Yate effort off the line, before Grose almost gave the hosts the lead when his shot from distance took a deflection before rattling the Yate crossbar.

With 19 minutes remaining, Yate’s James Harmer was given too much space and his low shot wasn’t dealt with by Harvell, as his parry wasn’t enough to stop the effort finding the net.

The home side pushed for an equaliser and Brimston’s perfectly-weighted ball found Jamie Davidson at the back post. However, a good recovery from the Yate defence deflected the effort wide of the mark.

Wimborne were almost caught on the counter attack, and Yate substitute Jordan Rogers nearly secured three points when his long range drive hit the post, with Harvell rooted to the spot.

The Magpies kept plugging away, and deep into injury time, Arnold’s surging run into the box was ended by Harmer. Kemble kept his nerve and found the net from the spot for the hosts to steal a point with almost the last kick of the game.

Yate’s Mike Bryant was sent off after the final whistle for the visitors, who made their anger about the penalty decision well known to the referee as several players approached him after the game.

Read more from Blackmore Vale Magazine

Do you have something to say? Leave your comment here...

max 4000 characters