Login Register

Woman dies in Bournemouth fire after discarded cigarette causes blaze

By This is Dorset  |  Posted: November 22, 2012

fire pic

A woman in West Howe died after her discarded cigarette set her home alight

Comments (0)

A woman from West Howe died in a house fire after a discarded cigarette caused her home to set alight.

A neighbour called Dorset Fire and Rescue Service after they heard a smoke alarm inside the property go off.

Two crews from Poole and one crew from Redhill Park were called to an address at Hall Road at 2.15pm on Tuesday November 20.

Officers found a lady inside the property who had died. A Fire Investigation has taken place and it is believed discarded smoking material near to the body caused the blaze.

Fire Investigation Officer Steve Underhill said: "Although we are awaiting confirmation of the cause of death from the coroner, it is clear that the victim had not properly disposed of smoking materials, leading to a fire near her.

"She did have hard-wired smoke alarms which were sounding and alerted a neighbour, but it may well be that she was unable to escape due to mobility or other issues which are not yet clear.

"The message to all smokers however is to ensure that you have fully extinguished your cigarettes or tobacco before you leave the room or are in danger of falling asleep."

Read more from Blackmore Vale Magazine

Do you have something to say? Leave your comment here...

max 4000 characters

YOUR COMMENTS AWAITING MODERATION

 
 
 

MORE NEWS HEADLINES